Thursday, June 12, 2014

The hardest secret EVER to keep!

Disclaimer: This post may be a little TMI...








April 28th... A date I will remember for a long time.




That day I had my first interview with Mankato Clinic at 9am.  I was then scheduled to work at Grizzly's to bartend from 10:30-5:30. Towards the end of my shift one of the servers came in early to eat before her shift.  She sat at the bar and we started talking about her pregnancy.  She was 8 months pregnant, but that day she said she started having contractions and leaking fluid.  HOLY CRAP!!! She should not have been working, but contractions were still far enough apart, maybe walking for a couple hours would help move the labor along.  We knew she was going to have this baby boy this week.. which was about 3 weeks early.



She had asked me if I had gotten my period yet. (Most people would think, what the heck? that's an inappropriate question, but I am an open book sometimes)  People at work knew I had gotten off the pill March 20th.  That was right before graduation.  It was now April 28th and I still hadn't gotten my period yet.  I had taken pregnancy tests up until 2 weeks prior and they were all negative, so I thought that I would wait longer until I take another one, because those things aren't cheap. 


I told her that I hadn't gotten it yet, but I "feel" like I should be getting it any day now.. with the cramps and the tiredness.  Anyway, I ran to the store for her because she was leaking a little, so I bought her panty liners so she would make it through the shift without completely ruining her undies. While I was at the store, I thought, what the heck, I will pick up a pregnancy test, just for shits and giggles. 




That night I get home. I didn't want to tell Nate that I had bought more tests, because he was thinking it was a waste of money.  We both thought that I wouldn't ovulate until after I got my period.  Since I missed my period in March and now in April, I wasn't ovulating. (things I read on the internet).  SO I took the test in private just for my own peace of mind. It came back positive!




I looked at that test for the longest time, making sure that the two lines actually means pregnant!  I went out into the living room and said "Honey, I took a pregnancy test and it was positive!"  He was at first upset that I didn't tell him I was taking one, but I honestly thought it was going to be another negative test.  Then his face changed into a smile.  I still didn't believe it at the time. I wanted to take another one that night, but we agreed I would take it first thing in the morning.




The next morning I get up, tell him I am going to take the test and proceed to the bathroom. It turned positive immediately. HOLY CRAP. I knew we were trying, but this happened REALLY fast! 


That day, I had to work.  How am I going to keep this secret to myself?  I had to.  Throughout my shift I still was thinking, maybe it was a fluke.  Maybe those two tests in that pack were faulty, I should probably try another brand, JUST to be sure.  So that night, I again go out and buy the digital pregnancy test and take it. Again, it said PREGNANT.  OK, this is for real now.  Now I really need to get the Mankato Clinic job... would they hire me if I am pregnant?  I am not going to tell them. If I don't get a job there, how was I going to get insurance?  Grizzly's doesn't offer insurance... we planned this pregnancy, but I honestly thought it was going to take me at least 6 months to get pregnant considering that I was on the pill for 13 years.




I didn't even know how far along I was.  Since I missed my period in March, I hadn't gotten a period since February.  But I was still on the pill in February and most of March.  So I could be anywhere from 6-10 weeks pregnant.. I had no clue.




We decided to tell my parents that weekend.  Even though I for sure yet didn't have a job and insurance was tough to get.  I knew those questions were going to pop up.  We were meeting them for dinner anyway and I couldn't keep it from them any longer. They were thrilled! What a relief. 



No comments:

Post a Comment