Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mankato Clinic

I couldn't believe I passed the NCLEX.  It was official, I am a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). I have those initials behind my name now.  I was SO incredibly happy!!!!  My next step was to continue applying for nursing jobs around the Mankato area.  I had already applied for the Mankato Clinic, but I had to put in the application that I wasn't licensed yet.  So, I thought I would update the application to say that I was officially licensed.  Then my phone rings.


It's Mankato Clinic - they want an INTERVIEW!!! HOLY CRAP!!! This is beginning to be a very good day!  Were they watching the board of nursing website also?  Did they know that I JUST found out that morning that I passed the NCLEX?


I set up an interview time for April 28th.  This will become a very important date for me.


April 28th I have an interview with Mankato Clinic Human Resources.  They decide if the employee is the right fit for the job and then give you options of what departments you want to work for depending on what departments are looking to hire.  The departments I had to choose from was OB/GYN, Pediatrics, a floating position, urgent care and Urology.  I chose to interview with the OB/GYN department and pediatrics at first.  My ultimate choice was to work in the OB/GYN department. So, HR set up times with the nursing managers at those locations. HR also called me saying that the floating position manager really wanted to meet with me also, I am not one to turn down an interview so I agreed.  On May 1st I had interviews in 3 departments.  The HR person I was in contact with and I soon were contacting each other on almost a daily basis.  Unfortunately, OB/GYN department hired internally.  But hey, I would rather lose to a person that already had some pull than to another recent graduate, so I wasn't too upset about it.  Pediatrics was still not going to decide for a couple more weeks, and I never heard back from the floating position.  In the mean time, I get another call from HR asking if I was interested in working in Urgent Care.  YES! I actually had some of my clinical experience in Urgent Care and I loved it.  So we set up an interview and this interview seemed different. 


The location was not at the main clinic, it was a separate building on another part of town.  The manager was very down to earth and my interview was pretty much a conversation about working there.  I felt like I was hired, but didn't want to get my hopes up too high.  We agreed to do a 2 hour following experience so I could get to know the facility more and the staff could "feel me out" - (that was my own perception).  I absolutely loved it.  


The next morning I get a call.. I got the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment